Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yikes... a test??

I'm pretty sure I have the best job in the world.  Every day, I get to talk with people who are interested in investing in kids and families in Calgary, and help them find ways to take action to directly and positively impact  the lives of kids and families.  Technically, my job fundraising - though I can think of many other, more descriptive words that could be used - and it's a role I never, ever thought I would be in (which is a whole long story in itself).

Recently, after more than six years of working as a fundraiser, I became eligible to go through the certification process to receive a CFRE (Certified Fundraising Executive) designation.  I was thrilled - a few years ago, after discovering how much I enjoy fundraising, I committed to one day becoming certified.  For me, this not only acknowledges my commitment to my profession and to doing all that I can to do the best possible work, it also is an opportunity and motivation to continually learn, grow and contribute to a greater community of people working to make our communities better.

So, excitedly, I submitted my application and, upon it's acceptance, signed up to write the exam.  And then I stopped.

An exam.  September 9th, 2011.  I haven't written an exam since... well, forever!

To make matters slightly more complicated, there is such a broad and exhaustive list of possible study resources (approximately 40 book recommendations, last time I checked) that it's impossible to cover them all given any amount of time - never mind the three weeks I now have.  So, I'm attempting to focus on those areas where I have less experience... and relying on what I already know for the rest.

For those of you have taken this exam, any advice?  Or, if you haven't - any other advice about studying, exams certifications, etc. in general?  Either way, be prepared for my rants/complaints/inspirations/etc. about studying these next couple months!

No comments:

Post a Comment