Thursday, September 9, 2010

One Week

This post is inspired by One Week, which I watched for the first time this weekend.  I'm not a big movie watcher, but I've wanted to see this one since it came out.  So, when I saw it come up on my Tivo, it was a must-record.  And, it didn't disappoint!

Don't worry - no spoilers here - though I will say that the movie challenged me to think and consider some parts of my life, as well as contained some gorgeous views of Canada.

The thing that most challenged me, though, was in the beginning.  It opens with a simple question: what would you do if you had only one week to live?  That's 7 days. 168 hours.  10,080 minutes.

Of course, this is an impossible-to-answer question - most of us have never been in a position where the answer to this would really matter, or result in any more than a few thoughts.

When I seriously consider it, though, I hope that I would choose to spend that one week loving, encouraging and being with those around me - family, friends and all others - and experiencing the joy in every moment.  Especially in the little things: laughing at a bad joke, a hug from a small child, an early morning walk or homemade cinnamon buns.

I hope my one week would be spent being present, in the moment - and soaking it all up.

And really, aren't these the things that should already be enjoyed every day anyway?

What about you - what would your one week look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment